12 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
9 cups of cubed bread, slightly dried (I used a ciabatta loaf)
4 cups milk
5 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons vanilla
1 cup raisins
2 tablespoons bourbon
bourbon icing (recipe follows)
- Preheat to 350 degrees.
- Brush a 9 x 13 pan with 4 tablespoons of the melted butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Cut bread into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the milk over the bread and let stand a few minutes until the bread is soft.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, remaining butter and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk together until blended.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread & milk mixture; add the raisins and stir to mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, cover, bake 50-60 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the pudding is puffy and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, pour the bourbon over the top of the pudding and set aside to cool 15 minutes before serving. Top with the icing while the pudding is still warm:
8 tablespoons butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Place the butter in a pan and melt over medium heat.
- Whisk in the sugar and stir until all the sugar is blended.
- Stir in the cream and bourbon and whisk to blend thoroughly, until the icing is thick and creamy. Pour onto the top of the pudding.